Skip to main content

Giant Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake



I've made pumpkin cinnamon rolls before, but never have I spiraled the cinnamon roll until it turned into a giant pumpkin cinnamon roll cake! I mean, holy smokes! It was amazing, and it's going to be pretty hard to not spiral my cinnamon rolls into a giant cake after tasting this beauty. 



This dough, you guys. It's GORGEOUS! I guess I'm just so used to the creamy white cinnamon roll dough, that this vibrant orange just lit up our kitchen with Fall goodness. 


(P.S. I'm in love with the way my husbands hands photograph. I mean, I don't even keep my nails that trim, and I'm a girl! haha)


This recipe is the exact same recipe I use for my regular pumpkin cinnamon rolls, however, I saw this design and couldn't wait to get in the kitchen and give it a try. Turns out, it's not that hard, and has such a beautiful result! You start out just as you would a normal pumpkin dough, let it rise, roll it out, but instead of rolling it into a log and slicing it up, there's a brand new method involved... 


When the dough has been rolled out into a giant rectangle on a large flat surface, and speared/sprinkled with all kinds of delicious pumpkin/cinnamon filling, grab the pizza roller. Slice long rows about 1 inch thick. With the center strip of dough, Roll it, starting from one end to the other, making one small cinnamon roll. Place it on the next strip, and continue the roll the cinnamon roll around it. Repeat this trick for maybe 2 more strips until its too big to handle. Carefully place the cinnamon roll in the center of a greased pie round. With the remaining strips, wrap them around the giant cinnamon roll until the strips reach the edges of the pie round. Cover with a towel, and let rise for a little bit. Pop it in the oven and BAM. You have yourself a cinnamon roll so giant, you can slice it like a cake/pie. 


The only change I would make the next time we have this (I mean, the next hundred times we make this - so amazing!), would be to double the filling. It ended up more like a cake, and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with cake-texture, but I missed the gooey insides in this tasty treat. I've reflected those changes in the directions. Enjoy! 


Giant Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake
makes 10 servings

ingredients:
1/4 C warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
pinch of sugar
1/3 C warm milk
3/4 C 100% canned pumpkin
1 T melted butter
1 egg 
3-4 C all purpose flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t salt 
1 t cinnamon 
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice 
1/4 t ground ginger

filling:
1/2 C butter, softened
3/4 C brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice

frosting:
4oz cream cheese
4 T butter softened
1 T vanilla
2-4 C powdered sugar
milk for thinning to desired consistency

method:
1. In the bottom of the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast activates.
2. Add milk, pumpkin puree, beaten egg, melted butter, and about 1 1/2 C flour, brown sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and ginger. Beat for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
3. Switch out paddle attachment for the dough hook attachment. Slowly add remaining flour, a little at a time, until dough becomes smooth and stretchy. I did all the kneading in the mixer with the paddle attachment, but if you don't have one, remove the dough from the mixing bowl, and knead out on a floured surface until ready.
4. Place dough in a greased bowl and turn dough around in bowl so the entire ball is slightly coated in grease. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for about an hour until dough is doubled in size.
5. Roll out dough in a large rectangle on a slightly floured surface , about 18-20 inches. Smear surface with slightly melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. With a pizza cutter, slice several 1 inch wide strips through the dough (as if you're making breadsticks). Starting from one end of the dough to the other, roll one of the strips into a "cinnamon roll". Place the cinnamon roll on the next strip, and roll around the outside of the cinnamon roll. Continue until the cinnamon roll is about 8 inches wide, then place into the center of a pie dish. With the remaining strips, wrap around the outside of the cinnamon roll until it reaches the thickness of the pie plate. 
6. Cover with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes until doubled in size. Mine took about an hour, so keep an eye on it. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden. Cover with aluminum foil if the edges are getting too toasty. Make sure the center is cooked through. Remove from oven.
8. Prepare frosting while pumpkin rolls are baking - beat softened cream cheese & butter together until combined. Add vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk until you gain your desired consistency - I like mine more like frosting vs. glaze, so it's up to you! Frost giant pumpkin roll while warm, and serve right away like a pie (slicing in pie slices). Reheat if serving later. They taste great cold, but AMAZING warm.

recipe adapted from: Baking with Blondie
giant cinnamon roll cake design inspired by: Sallys Baking Addiction
Image Map

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, this is a gorgeous cake! I love the bright colors and the frosting on top adds the perfect finishing touch. Will definitely be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - he has prettier hands/nails than I do too :) Your cake sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - me to!! My nails probably could use a little more love, especially if my husband's nails and hands look better than mine!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what an amazing treat. Looks great I can just taste it!!! Saved to my folder of treats lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are a man's hands? Wow. Looks scrumptious -- seriously think I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? His hands are so perfect and trim. I love it! Mine are completely the opposite, haha.

      Delete
  5. I need this. Heading to the kitchen now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. best birthday cakes orange county

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting