Skip to main content

Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken


Guys. I love tacos. When I was a little girl and they asked me at school what my favorite food was, I always said either olives or tacos. Things haven't really changed since. 

This obsession of mine with tacos has led me to many recipes. I crave tacos pretty much all the time, and we're not supposed to go out to eat unless it's for something special, so this leaves my little family with homemade tacos on the menu pretty often. Instead of making the same 'ol tacos each week, I like to switch things up. Some of the recipes we've tried have been awesome, and some... not so awesome. I want a taco that's easy to make, but packs each bite with dripping flavor. This recipe, my friends, is one you're going to want to slap on the menu asap. 



I would walk through the cooking method, but with a slow cooker, and recipes like this one, it's really a no-brainer! You just slab that chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker, dump the ingredients on top, put the lid on, and dinner will cook itself to perfection. 


I was craving something crunchy to go along with the soft, savory, chicken. So I used the regular crunchy tacos you can find at just about any supermarket. I love the soft tortillas, and we can buy them fresh at the grocery store, but man, sometimes I need a little crunch in my taco from the shell itself. We also went very simple with the toppings. You can add avocado, cilantro, chopped cabbage, an array of spicy cheeses, but for this dish, we wanted the chicken to speak by itself with a few light accents of queso blanco and butter lettuce. Isn't that lettuce just gorgeous?

If you're planning on feeding a crowd, or those in a smaller household, this recipe can easily be made as is, with a few leftovers, or doubled/tripled for a crowd! Its SO stinkin' easy, and will pull you right into my weekly taco obsession. Enjoy!


Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
makes 4 servings


ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 C salsa verde, mild or medium heat
1 C chicken broth
2 t cumin
optional: 1 small jalapeno, stemmed, seeds removed, and minced

method:
1. Turn heat on small slow cooker to low or high (low = 8 hours of cooking, high = 4 hours of cooking). Place chicken in a flat layer on the bottom. Top with salsa verde, chicken broth, cumin, and jalapeno (if using). Cover tightly with the lid, and cook (4-8 hours. Low = 8, high = 4). 
2. When the cooking time has been reached, shred with fork (should be effortless). Toss with the juices and serve warm in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, tostadas, etc with all the toppings you'd like. Store in an airtight container, and use within 3-4 days. 

recipe adapted from: gimmesomeoven


Want more tacos? Here are a couple more of my favorites! 


Image Map

Comments

  1. Tacos and olives are some of my favorite foods as an adult, but as a kid, I was all about the ice cream and pizza:) I'm loving the idea of the salsa verde chicken in the slow cooker and will have to try it with my family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

Berry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Lime Vinaigrette

Blackberry & Mint Brownie Parfait

Beefy Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup